Working on A Life

Experience is what its all about. And the stories. Post college most people go on to find a job, or apply to grad school. I decided just to live. This is my story as related to my family and friends. (This journal represents ONLY my views and none of Peace Corps or the US government.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England

We are working parents looking to make the most of whatever adventures we can find close to home.

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Busy for the sake of it

So, in the last few days I've worked, played, hiked, shot some photos, hung out with some cool people, and celebrated the 21st birthday of one of my greatest friends. (Happy birthday Kel!) Yet somehow despite all this I still feel somewhat unsatisified. You all know the feeling I'm sure when your day just feels somewhat incomplete no matter how you do. C'est la vie. Nothing I can do except stay busy for the sake of it. Better than bored and without a clue. Life, if not fantastically fufilling or exciting, is going well for me at the moment. Started a new job at Target a couple of weeks ago so I can stick around central mass a bit longer and stay connected with my wonderful girlfriend Cathy and many of my crazy UMass and college related friends. At least those that havn't spread to the 4 corners of the earth. (cough... Dan... cough). Now the crazy correspondence dance begins where one must find time to write or call or visit everyone who deserves it for being the awesome freinds that they are while still managing to not forget yourself. I've tried this dance many times in the past and no matter how determined I always manage to let some of the most outstanding slip through. Don't worry though guys... I love you all and I'm doing better already than I ever have in the past... And for those that havn't heard from me in a while please accept my humble appologies and note that my e-mail and aim name are all listed in my profile. I'll tolerate the junk mail and the fan mail from my thousands of adoring fans just for you! (and for those that don't know me well yet I am a big fan of sarcastic humor. Its hard to communicate it in writing but if you all just pretend I'm reading this to you you shouldn't have to hard a time inserting the right tones in the right places. If you can't then it should provide boundless amusment anyway)

I suppose that I should talk a bit about me, though I must appologize to the select few that know me better than I know myself. For everyone else I'm 22 years old, which when I type it out makes me feel much older, and I just grauated with a BS in Biology and a certificate in Ornithology (the study of birds) from the University of Massachusets in Amherst Mass. Eventually I'll include a picture and so will spare you any attention to physical details here. Nor will I talk much about where I've been, except in other, more important, contexts. This journal is set in the here and now and time travel within its confines will be for the most part reserved for musings on the future and its infinate (or so I'm told) possiblities. As for things to define me, I love to learn, to travel, to win, and to be selectivly social. At first it might seem very difficult to narrow one's life into such a diminuitive number of catagories, or even to define one's life in a catagorical fasion at all. However, when you're trying to describe yourself they catagories are almost impossible to avoid and so I compensate by making them as broad as possible. To break it down a bit further I'll list and explain a few of the contributing pieces.

My desire to learn is, like the other catagories, integral in making me me and can, as a consequece be found in every part of my life. I love to read and have ever since my mother used to read me the boxcar children book series and I was to impatient with the one chapter a night routine. I used to read till all hours of the night using any available light source and still do usually read myself to sleep. I try to live life by the philosophy that as long as you can learn something from an experiance then it is always worthwhile regardless of the outcome. (Sometimes my attempts fail, usually due to the soon to be discussed desire to win... but I do try) Even my recent forray into the world of the minimum wage laboror, besides an easily atainable job to pay rent and buy food for a few months was a unique and rewarding experiance. (from which I learned mainly that working in the middle of the night hauling boxes around really wasn't the job for me and stripped me of any qualms I might have had about using my qualifications to better my circumstances, modesty be damned.) As terrible as it was to sit down in the office of Targets own "special" version of an HR manager and be told that basically I could take my degree and all my previous work experiance and use it as toilet paper because I had no experiance in retail so I was getting the minimum wage anyway, I still managed to make awsome friends, learned that I had what it took to work over night, and gained the retail experiance that I will hopefully never have to use again.

(Time for bed... my eyes are sleepy... I'll finish this later)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home