Working on A Life

Experience is what its all about. And the stories. Post college most people go on to find a job, or apply to grad school. I decided just to live. This is my story as related to my family and friends. (This journal represents ONLY my views and none of Peace Corps or the US government.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England

We are working parents looking to make the most of whatever adventures we can find close to home.

Thursday, September 30, 2004

27 Flies

Of course there are disadvantages to living on a farm. Flies is one of them. There are 27 flies on the outside (thankfully) of my window screen right now somewhat obscuring my view of the corn harvest. I have a headache and I have to go to work in 15 minutes and I just noticed its raining.

Now that we've got all the bad stuff out of the way I'm actually having a fairly good day. Got a new video game yesterday to play at bradens house (star ocean in case you follow these things) and I'm finally making some good progress in Knights of the Old Republic. (I've already played longer than everyone I know... I can't help it if I'm a video game retard). My boss already has my schedual for the next month posted up so I can actually make long term plans for the first time in quite a while. I'm trying to throw together a camping trip on the 16th and 17th of october with some hiking involved. We'll see if I can get it thrown together in 10 days or so and if anyone can even come. Most people still have jobs where they have to work all or part of the weekend. Got some apple picking/pie baking lined up for this weekend and sometime in the near future I'm going to get off my lazy butt and go visit my brother. No longer am I busy for the sake of it but genuinely busy and its about damn time I say.

My landlord situation has improved somewhat in the last day or so. I mean the lady is still off her rocker but I've managed not to screw up any of her rules yet today so I've avoided any head bowing lectures. Definately a plus. It occurs to me as I watch them harvest the corn that modern day farm equiptment dosn't make farming that much less labor intensive. Even this relitively small field of corn is going to take them a better part of a day to slice and dice at their current rate. Things are all in a hustle and bustle over next door where the actual farm work happens because I think that its supposed to frost tonight and they are probably trying to get the rest of the produce in before they lose it to mother nature. I have a feeling its gonna be a long day for them. All their fancy equiptment still requires at least some manpower to opporate. Guys to drive the trucks and tractors and guys to watch the livestock. While the machines might have saved effort if the farms had stayed the same size over the years they certianly make minimal difference now since farms have grown along with the ease of labor.

Went to the doctor at Umass Med yesterday to see about getting my spiffy little doctors note that will get me off the hook with the Peace corps people. I should be free and clear now its just a matter of waiting for the doctors office to mail me the form that I can fax to the peace corps people. (*sigh* will this never end... probably not) I'm glad that I went with the post that had the delayed departure time because I never would have made it if I had to leave in June. They don't seem to care about things like that though. If this dosn't work out I'm going to start job hunting asap cause I only have a place to live aranged here till January. I'm only worried at this point that the doctors office is going to fail to send me the forms or something. I'm waiting two weeks from today and then I'll probaby just drive into the office to pick them up. Safer. Got to see Leo's pad. Awesome! He needs a dresser though so he can get his room finised off. I'm defiantely gonnna have to go down and hang out there more. Cut him in on some of my upcoming hiking plans as long as he promises to cut me in on his.

Alright.. Out of time and this isn't very coherent anyway.. Off to work

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home