Working on A Life

Experience is what its all about. And the stories. Post college most people go on to find a job, or apply to grad school. I decided just to live. This is my story as related to my family and friends. (This journal represents ONLY my views and none of Peace Corps or the US government.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: New England

We are working parents looking to make the most of whatever adventures we can find close to home.

Monday, October 04, 2004

Weekend of Apples

So the apple weekend was a success. I didn't end up going hiking as much as I would have liked, which is to say that I didn't end up going hiking at all but the weekend I would say more than made up for it. The later part of last week and the early part of this weekend was spent mostly gathering materials for Apple Pies. Pie plates, sifters, measureing cups and ingrediants all mounted up on my (and Cathy's thankfully) debit cards while visions of sumptious homeade apple pies and fresh apples danced in our heads.

Now that I have all this stuff I'll have to bake more I suppose... Darn.. Hopefully my landlady will continue to tolorate it. I paid my rent today (*wince*) so I suppose they'll have to put up with me for at least another month kitchen excesses and all. Saturday after I got out of work about 3:15 in the afternoon we began the mad dash to get ready to get to the apple orchard I chose (red apple farm back in Phillipston MA). It was a bit further away then the other options but it stayed open later (6pm... hence the mad dash) and so we felt we would actually get to spend more time there than at any of the closer orchards which all closed around 5 pm. Besides... they make the best cider donuts and I really really really wanted some cider donuts.

I got the donugts and about 20 pounds of fresh apples and some cider (yum) and my compainions (Cathy, Ashley, and Erin) got apple soda and any number of other small apple products along with a pumpkin for use as a seasonal doorstop in Cathy and Erins room that was just too cute to pass up and which created several minutes of furious thinking in trying to come up with a suitable name. One was eventually decided upon but as is my habit with names I have since forgotten it completely. I'll be sure to include it later though if anyone really cares.

We got back home that evening around 7 pm and Ashley Cathy and I drove to my place to get started on crafting some pies. Actually I made dinner while the girls peeled apples and mixed together the crust ingrediants. All in all to save you all the mundane pie making details which involved (as does anything involving Cathy) a lot of giggles and a big mess we finished up with 2 pies and a half dozen caramel apples at around 1AM.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home